You are here

Shell Point Marina c 1950 Recreation Center

Full Screen View

Summary:
In the 1940s and 1950s, at the end of Shell Point Road, stood the Shell Point Recreation complex, very popular with local residents. In its earlier days, two docks, a swimming pool and a skating rink were on the property along with a restaurant and bar. Waterside cottages (not pictured) were on the site as well. Today, the Shell Point Marina occupies the spot. This land is historically very important as it is believed to be the location of a large native mound, that was the center piece of small native town peopled by the Uzita. Hernando de Soto likely saw this mound on his entry into the Bay and targeted it for his first incursion into what is now South Hillsborough County. While in some dispute, de Soto's landing spot was near Piney Point where he off loaded his troops and marched them north, crossing the Little Manatee River at approximately the site of Camp Bayou today, before marching back to the bay to capture the native village (which had been abandoned.) De Soto's likely first encampment was at this site. The site is also historically relevant as a sportsmen's hotel was built on the mound in the early part of the 20th Century. It was at this site that George Miller and his family first stayed when they arrived in the area in 1907. His initial intent was to establish a town that he called Venoa on the site but determined a larger, more farmable spot was necessary. From here he bought the 12,000 acres (along with his brother's in law, the Dickman's, to establish the colony of Ruskin.
Title: Shell Point Marina c 1950 Recreation Center.
122 views
Type of Resource: still image
Summary: In the 1940s and 1950s, at the end of Shell Point Road, stood the Shell Point Recreation complex, very popular with local residents. In its earlier days, two docks, a swimming pool and a skating rink were on the property along with a restaurant and bar. Waterside cottages (not pictured) were on the site as well. Today, the Shell Point Marina occupies the spot. This land is historically very important as it is believed to be the location of a large native mound, that was the center piece of small native town peopled by the Uzita. Hernando de Soto likely saw this mound on his entry into the Bay and targeted it for his first incursion into what is now South Hillsborough County. While in some dispute, de Soto's landing spot was near Piney Point where he off loaded his troops and marched them north, crossing the Little Manatee River at approximately the site of Camp Bayou today, before marching back to the bay to capture the native village (which had been abandoned.) De Soto's likely first encampment was at this site. The site is also historically relevant as a sportsmen's hotel was built on the mound in the early part of the 20th Century. It was at this site that George Miller and his family first stayed when they arrived in the area in 1907. His initial intent was to establish a town that he called Venoa on the site but determined a larger, more farmable spot was necessary. From here he bought the 12,000 acres (along with his brother's in law, the Dickman's, to establish the colony of Ruskin.
Identifier: HCC0101RUS413 (IID)
Persistent Link to This Record: http://purl.flvc.org/hccfl/fd/HCC0101RUS413
Use and Reproduction: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/
Restrictions on Access: Photo may be from the Maschek collection.
Host Institution: HCCFL

In Collections